A popular middle eastern recipe, Shish Tawook is one of my go-to weeknight family meals. Made with simple pantry ingredients, these grilled chicken skewers can be served as a side or as a main course. Not only are they healthy but they're also a crowd favorite, especially with kids. And you don't need to wait until summer BBQ weather to enjoy Shish Tawook, you can make them on your indoor grill. Trust me on this one - you need to try them!
Growing up, my mom always kept marinated chicken breast pieces in the freezer for a quick meal idea and now I do the same. Because - Hello!! We all have those days where we need a break in the kitchen. To marinate the chicken we use the classic ingredients which are yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and tomato paste. In my recipe, I also throw in some paprika for extra flavor and olive oil because chicken breast needs some extra fat. If you have toum, you can also use that in the marindae! I usually make a big portion which I can batch freeze.
Have extra chicken and want to try a different marinade? Check out my Joojeh Kabob recipe. With work and two kids, these grilled chicken skewers are a lifesaver for me. They will be for you too!
How to make ahead and freeze Shish Tawook
- To make a large batch, double or triple the recipe ingredients
- Mix the marinade together but leave out the lemon juice and marinate the chicken cubes. Place in a freezer safe bag in meal sized portions.
- Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge when you want to cook the shish tawook
- Before cooking, add the lemon juice an mix well, then cook per recipe instructions. Ensure chicken is at room temperature before grilling.
Cooking tips and how to serve Shish Tawook
- Chicken breast does not have as much fat as other types of meat, so it's important to not overcook it or it may become dry. Ensure you cook no more than 5-7 minutes each side and check that it's white inside
- Shish Tawook is typically served with a fresh chopped vegetables for easy sandwich making, as well as toum. Make my 5-minute toum and it will really elevate this dish!
- One of the best things to serve it with is Sumac Onions. Thinly sliced red onions that have been rubbed with sumac and allowed to stand for 10-15 minutes
- You can also serve with a side of rice or Fattoush Salad
Looking for a side dish to go with this recipe? Check out these recipes:
Shish Tawook | Grilled Chicken Skewers
Makes 7-10 skewers
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Start by combining all ingredients together except for the chicken to form the marinade. Mix well.
- Cut the chicken breast into approximately 2 inch cubes and add to the marinade. Rub well.
- Cover and allow chicken to marinate in the fridge at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Take out 30 mins before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
- Skewer the chicken onto metal skewers (or you can use wood skewers but ensure to soak them in water before using for 1 hour)
- Grill the chicken on a stove top skillet or grill pan on medium heat for about 5-6 mins on each side. Ensure chicken is white and cooked through.
- Serve with sumac onions, vegetables and pita bread.