Okay - it's time for another magical Instant pot recipe! And by magical I mean: absolutely delicious, minimal effort, and ready in about 20 minutes. Yes this Vegetarian Instant Pot Tomato Rice is packed with Middle Eastern ingredients and makes the perfect side to any main dish! I mostly also just serve it with a side salad or with a bowl of plain yogurt (that's how we Arabs like to eat most of our rice dishes!).
It's no secret that I love using my Instant Pot - it's such a time saver. I mostly use it for stews, soups, and pressure cooking lamb/beef, but it's also really great for rice! The secret is to make sure you're using the right liquid to rice ratio and to stir everything before you pressure cook to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom and you don't get that dreaded "burn" sign on the Instant Pot.
What makes this Instant Pot Tomato Rice recipe so good is that I don't need to use any meat broth for flavor, because it all comes through from beautifully soften onions and garlic, the sweet and sour tomato flavor, and a nice punch from the curry powder and turmeric, which also give it that beautiful orange color.
I have another Instant Pot Keema Rice recipe which is also delicious with spiced beef and veggies, so check that out too! And if you're looking at me like "Instant pot what?", then my friend you need to check it out and start saving time.
If you tried these recipes, please consider leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page - I'd love to hear from you! You can also hop on over to Instagram and say hello!
Instant Pot Tomato Rice
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 600 ml diced tomato with juices
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 2.5 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- Wash the rice and soak while you prepare the other ingredients, for roughly 10 minutes
- Finely dice the onion and cook on sautee mode in the instant pot with the olive oil for a few minutes
- Add the crushed garlic and continue to cook a few more minutes until onions soften
- Add all the spices, the diced tomato, and the tomato paste and allow to cook a few minutes for flavours to combine
- Add the water and the rice, mix everything well so nothing sticks to the bottom
- Pressure cook for 4 minutes. Once time is up, allow natural pressure release
- Open the instant pot and fluff with a fork and enjoy!