I'm a soup person. But I only have a few that I absolutely love and make on a regular basis. This Instant Pot Roasted Red Pepper soup is definitely one of the few on my list. It's creamy, and has a great depth of flavor from the beautifully roasted red peppers, onions, and tomato. My favourite way to make it is in the instant pot because it severely cuts down the cooking time, and that's always a great thing.
I fell in love with this soup from constantly ordering it at my favourite lunch spot. It's usually the most reliable soup for me whenever I'm eating out. So I decided to make it at home and get my fill. Best decision ever!
The not-so-secret tip for this roasted red pepper soup is to get a nice char on the roasted red peppers, and to also roast the onions and the tomato. Roasting the red peppers brings out their flavor, while the tomato and onion develop a wonderful sweetness as well.
From there, all you have to do is pop them in the instant pot with some sauteed garlic, tomato paste, coconut cream, vegetable broth, and the spices. I use basil to compliment the coconut, along with chilli for a great kick! If you like it hot, you can obviously crank up the heat too.
Tips for making Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Don't skip the roasting step! It's where the flavor develops. Make sure you get a nice char on the red peppers and that the onions and tomatoes have softened
- Using coconut cream makes this soup dairy free and in my opinion balances the flavors well. However, you can also use coconut milk in a larger quantity (a full can) or use the same amount of dairy cream
- The instant pot is great for cutting down cooking time. However, if you don't have one, simply follow the recipe on the stove top and allow a longer cooking time until the vegetables soften before blending
For more vegetarian recipe ideas, try these:
Instant Pot Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 3 red peppers
- 1 Onion
- 2 to matoes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2.5 cups veg broth
- ½ tsp chilli powder more per preference
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry basil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut the pepper in half and take out seeds.
- Cut the onions into quarters and the tomatoes in half.
- Place all the vegetables in a lined baking sheet and cover well with 3 tbsp of oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 mins until pepper starts to look charred.
- Take out the tray and while hot, place just the peppers on a plate and cover with foil (this will steam them and make it easier to peel). Set aside for 5 mins.
- Turn on the instant pot to saute mode and add 1 tbsp oil, 3 sliced garlic cloves and the tomato paste and sautee a few mins.
- Peel the tomato and the pepper (peel should come off easily) and add them in the pot along with the onions.
- Add all other ingredients (broth, coconut cream, chilli powder, salt and basil).
- Pressure cook for 10 mins and manually release pressure.
- Blend soup using a hand blender and adjust seasoning.
- Top with croutons, fresh basil, and more coconut cream if you like.
- To get the maximum flavor, roast the red peppers until the skin looks black and charred. Peel them easily by steaming them in a plate covered with foil.
- You can also follow this recipe on the stove top and cook slightly longer for all the vegetables to soften enough to blend.
- You can also add all the ingredients along with the roasted vegetables to a blender and blend.