A bowl of rice and curry is definitely one of my favourite meals. Growing up with rice based dishes with a lot of mediterranean stews, I love experimenting with something different like Indian or Thai inspired curries. This lentil and chickpea coconut curry was created through one of my experiments - I was on the hunt for a delicious recipe that uses ingredients I always have on hand and comes together quickly so I can make it on weeknights.
This recipe is also great for prepping lunches for the week - it stores really great in the fridge and its full of protein and everything that's good for you! You can eat it with white basmati rice (my favourite) or with some bread. I guarantee you'll love this one - can't get any simpler than that.
- 2 cups red split lentils
- 3 tbsp curry paste (any)
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can drained & washed chickpeas
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Dice the onion and sauté in the vegetable oil for a few minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and curry paste and continue to cook until onions are soft.
- Add the washed and drained lentils and the water and mix. Season with salt and pepper and allow it to simmer for 5-10 minutes until water is mostly absorbed.
- Next add the chickpeas, coconut milk and chopped tomato and continue to simmer for a further 10-15 mins, ensuring there is enough liquid.
- Taste and adjust (add a pinch of sugar or salt if needed) as required. Serve with rice and enjoy!