If you're craving your a great shawarma plate from your favourite joint, here's some good news. You can make it at home, and it'll be even better! Whenever I have some hummus at home, I will 100% be making a Shawarma Plate. It's so good (resisted putting so many O's on the "so" here), and so easy to make. I love mixing and matching the different sides that typically go into a shawarma plate depending on what I have in the fridge. My preference is always a chicken shawarma plate!
What to add to a great Shawarma Plate
The components of a really great shawarma plate are easy to mix and match based on what you have at home. Here's what you will need:
- Some type of Shawarma, duh. I love my super quick and easy sheet pan chicken shawarma, which is what I teach you how to do in this recipe
- Hummus. Homemade is always best when it comes to hummus and you can make it within minutes using this recipe and a food processor. But hey, if you are using store bought hummus, no judgement here. I do the same from time to time.
- A type of carb. I usually serve my shawarma plate with white rice, because I always have some on hand. But another amazing option is Batata Harra, which is Lebanese spicy potatoes. SO good!
- A fresh salad. I throw together a really quick cucumber, tomato and red onion salad with some fresh mint, lemon and olive oil. That's my go-to option for simplicity, but you can also make Fattoush or Tabouli and both would be epic.
- A delicious sauce. My go-to sauce is always a yogurt tahini garlic sauce because of how light and delicious it is. Also super easy to make, I'm talking mix all the ingredients in 2 minutes and you're done. You can also add Toum which is a delicious Middle Eastern garlic sauce and this recipe here is a winner.
So the next time you have a huge craving for that favourite shawarma plate, skip the extra fat and extra money and make it yourself at home! You won't be disappointed. Leave me a review with your feedback - I'd love to hear!Print
Featuring Chicken Shawarma and a mix of delicious middle eastern sides, this shawarma plate is SO good and easy to put together. With a simple fresh salad, some hummus, rice, and the perfect yogurt tahini sauce, you're going to make this over and over again.
For the Chicken Shawarma:
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Yogurt Tahini Sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 4 small cucumbers
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ small red onion
- About ¼ cup packed fresh mint (or 2-3 tablespoons dried mint)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon sumac (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cooked rice, about 2 cups
- Hummus, homemade using this recipe or store bought
Other side options:
- Pre-heat oven to 450ºF (optional - you can also cook the shawarma on a non-stick pan on the stove)
- Cut chicken thighs into thin strips
- Mix the lemon juice with all the spices and combine to create a paste
- Marinate the chicken for a few hours in the fridge (you can skip this if in a hurry)
- Lay chicken on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 450ºF for 20-25 mins until cooked through
- To make the sauce, mix all ingredients together well
- For the salad, slice the cucumbers into halves, and the tomatoes into large cubes. Slice the onion into thin strips and finely chop the fresh mint
- Mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, sumac and mint and pour over the salad. Mix well
- Serve the shawarma with the sauce on top, with a side of salad, cooked rice, and hummus. Enjoy!
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: shawarma plate, chicken shawarma