You all know easy weeknight recipes are my passion & so is this Arabic fish cooked in tomato sauce. What's not to love about a dish you can throw together in under 30 minutes for your family to enjoy? And the key to 30 minute dinners is using ingredients that cook quickly. That's why fish and seafood are strong contenders for my weeknight menu. And this dish right here.... this one is a winner. It's so convenient to make and it's also very healthy and full of Mediterranean flavors.
I must admit that I don't make Arabic Fish as often as I'd like, mainly because my husband absolutely hates fish (I know, right?! Shocking). And if I end up cooking fish, I'd have to think of something else to make for him. And that's just a bit too much thinking after work, you feel me? But luckily my son is loving fish too and that definitely gives me more of an incentive.
This Arabic Fish recipe is cooked in tomato sauce and uses beautiful and easily accessible ingredients to elevate the fish and bring you rich, tangy flavor that goes perfectly with rice or a crusty piece of bread to mop up the juices. It's a really fast and easy stove top cooking method. I've used one of my favorite fish, which is rainbow trout, but this can work with any type of fish, as long as it's not too delicate. I've tried it with Salmon and it works really well too! You can really play around with the dry spices you use in this recipe to switch it up, and follow the same cooking method of searing the fish, then cooking in a tomato, onion and garlic sauce.
I like to garnish my fish with some fresh thyme (but if you don't have this on hand, don't worry, you can get away with skipping it or using dried thyme), a squeeze of lemon juice, and some thinly sliced red onions. It brings all the flavors together. And because I'm a huge rice lover, that's how I eat mine. But I've also taken the leftovers and turned them into a delicious sandwich/wrap for lunch the next day.
For more weeknight recipes, check out:
- One Pot Chicken and Rice
- Spicy Arayes (Middle Eastern Stuffed Pita)
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma
- Shish Tawook (Grilled Chicken Skewers)
Easy Mediterranean Fish
- 1 fillet rainbow trout
- 1 onion
- 2 to matoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Start by mixing the spices in a bowl, and using half the mixture to apply to the fish as a dry rub.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to your pan and on medium high heat, sear the fish on both sides, starting with skin side down.
- After searing a few minutes on each side, remove the fish and set aside.
- In the same pan, add a tbsp of oil and add the diced onion and crushed garlic, then cook on medium heat, until the onions wilt, about 5 minutes.
- While they cook, chop up the tomato into cubes and add to the pan, allowing them to cook down with half a cup of water and cover for about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the spices in as well.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasoning, then nestle in the fish along with a few sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Allow the fish to cook in the sauce for an additional 10 minutes, and check to ensure its cooked through. Serve with your favorite rice and enjoy!